Skip to update
Save the WorkiesBack to the campaign

The next steps towards buying the Workies.

· An update from Scott

The surveys, funding applications and purchase preparations are moving forward. We do not own the building yet, and purchase finance has not been approved.

Hi everyone,

There has been a lot happening behind the scenes. Thank you for sticking with us, keeping your monthly support going and helping us get this far. Here is where things stand today.

The purchase finance

Over the last couple of weeks we have worked through detailed questions with WCVA Social Investment Cymru: cashflow forecasts, opening costs, staffing, VAT and how the building would earn its keep.

The revised forecasts and our answers are with WCVA. Its loan report is being reviewed before it goes to the decision-making panel. We are waiting for a confirmed panel date. There is no funding decision yet.

£200,000 initial finance request
Our proposal allocates £140,000 to buying the building and £60,000 to initial reopening needs. That includes essential work and the money needed to get trading started. The final allocation depends on the surveys and WCVA’s conditions.
A further £100,000 in stages
We are discussing additional borrowing for later needs, drawn in stages rather than all at once. This is a separate request, not an approved facility or a commitment to borrow it all.

If finance is approved, we have a solicitor ready to progress the purchase, subject to the valuation, legal checks and funding conditions. Workies members have supported the community purchase proposal, but that is not a completed sale.

The auction has been postponed to 15 October 2026. The original September particulars are out of date. We are working towards a formal purchase through the solicitors before then.

Survey work this week

Asbestos survey
Visit arranged for Wednesday 16 September. We have accepted the surveyor’s proposed date and supplied the access contact. The survey will give us up-to-date information about the building.
Red Book valuation
Visit confirmed for Thursday 17 September. This is an independent professional valuation for the purchase-finance process. The report is targeted for 25 September; Thursday is the inspection, not the report date.
Building, electrical and access assessments
Scopes and estimated fees being developed. We have spoken with Iwan Thomas at DB3 Architecture about measured drawings, the building’s condition and how its spaces could be used. Electrical and safety assessments are also being scoped.

These reports will help us identify the urgent work, plan insurance and decide which rooms could reopen first. An empty room is not automatically ready to use: safety, access and any necessary repairs come first.

Three funding routes, different jobs

Perthyn · £10,000 requested
Application submitted on 15 September. We have sent the application and four support letters, including the joint letter from Cefin Campbell, Nerys Evans and Adam Price. The request is for professional surveys, inspections and feasibility advice to help plan reopening. It uses the supplier prices and estimated fees available; the funder may ask for further information. No award has been made.
Community Facilities Programme
Expression of interest acknowledged. Welsh Government has received our proposal and updated CBS registration details. We are waiting to hear whether we can progress to the next application stage. This is a route towards larger improvements, not funding already secured.
Architectural Heritage Fund
Preparing the next application stage. We are developing a proposal for heritage-sensitive planning, architectural options and a costed approach to refurbishment. We are working towards a request of up to £15,000, subject to the agreed scope and eligibility. This has not yet been submitted as a completed application or awarded.

Each fund would have a separate job. We will not claim the same survey or piece of work twice, or assume a grant will repay costs incurred before its approval.

A real community behind it

At our meeting with Cefin Campbell on 4 September, local people and organisations discussed what the Workies could become. Tumble Rugby Football Club explained its need for a headquarters for its 12 teams. We also discussed activities, local services and how the building could support Welsh in everyday life.

We have since received a joint letter of support from Cefin Campbell, Nerys Evans and Adam Price, backing the community’s efforts to acquire and redevelop the Workies. It joins support from Tumble RFC, the local Welsh-medium schools and Tumble Family Centre. That support matters; it is not a funding award.

Our September survey snapshot had 328 responses. Of those, 308 described the building as tired or badly needing improvement. People want somewhere welcoming, safe and useful throughout the week.

That is why reopening and redevelopment are different stages. The longer-term ideas include a café/bar, a brighter and more flexible hall, better changing facilities and accessible community use of the seven upstairs rooms. The surveys will help us work out what is practical, what it costs and the order to do it in.

The Society and its bank account

Tumble Workies Community Club Limited was registered as a Community Benefit Society on 2 September, FCA Mutuals number 9847. We now have the legal organisation through which to pursue community ownership. Registration does not approve the purchase or guarantee its finances.

We submitted the Co-operative Bank account application on 14 September. It is under review; the account is not open yet.

What happens next?

  1. Complete the survey and valuation visits, and supply any remaining paperwork.
  2. Get the WCVA panel date and funding decision.
  3. If approved, progress the purchase through the solicitors and meet the conditions.
  4. Use the survey findings to agree essential work, licensing, insurance and an achievable reopening plan.
  5. Bring community groups, volunteers and local trades together to shape the next stage.

We would like to hear from experienced hospitality managers and personal licence holders who could help with reopening and licensing preparations. Local tradespeople and people who want to run activities are welcome too. Email us if you can help.

Let’s reach £3,000 a month

At the time of this update, 373 monthly supporters were backing us with £2,743 a month. That leaves £257 to reach £3,000. It is our next step towards the wider £5,000 monthly goal.

Regular support helps us plan for getting the Workies open and keeping it useful to the community. If you can, keep your pledge going or bring one more person in. Monthly pledges are donations, not community shares, and can be cancelled at any time.

Totals refresh from the campaign feed when available; otherwise the 15 September snapshot is shown. Separately, Gary Watkins and Esgidiau’r Cwm have each given £100 cash, to be deposited when the CBS bank account opens. Both also give monthly. A monthly pledge total is not the same as cash held in the bank.

Diolch,

Scott

Scott Flear
Save the Workies

Read the full campaign timeline · Read the 2 September update

Help us take the next step.

Keep backing the community purchase.

Make a monthly pledge